Historically there were a good number of Unitarian churches, chapels and Meeting Houses in towns and villages around the region. Here is a full list:
Barnard Castle, Newgate Street, built 1870, closed c1930, demolished 1957.
Carlisle, Victoria Viaduct, built 1889, closed 1957. Building converted.
Choppington, Northumberland-built 1868, closed 1975.
Darlington, built 1873, closed 1922, now demolished.
Durham, Claypath, built 1751, now used as a schoolroom (c1986)
Gateshead, built 1900, closed 1947, now demolished.
Middlesbrough, built in 1873, closed 1961, now demolished.
Newcastle upon Tyne, first chapel built in 1685, in Close Gate; second was Hanover Square Meeting House, built 1727; third was Church of the Divine Unity, Bridge Street, built 1854 – demolished 1939; fourth and current building is the Church of the Divine Unity in Ellison Place, an “Art-Deco” style church, built in 1940.
Newcastle upon Tyne, Byker Mission, built 1891, closed in 1910 and congregation merged with the main city centre church.
Newcastle upon Tyne, Pandron Bank, built 1779, closed 1836 and congregation merged with the main city centre church.
North Shields, built 1832, closed 1846.
South Shields, built 1874, closed in 1980.
Stockton-on-Tees, Meeting House in High Street built 1699, Victorian church in Wellington Street, built 1873 – demolished 2006; present building opened in 2007.
Sunderland, Bridge Street built 1831, closed 1967, demolished 1970.